So after 2/3 months of helping do up a house around working full time I am now finally reaping the rewards and have a much bigger and dedicated hobby area. It felt great to get building and painting models again after so long. I have a massive list of projects that I have fallen behind on but now I can get cracking into them.
New working area with James May looking suave on the tele
It is no where near as clean as that now sadly but progress is being made on two of the projects.
First up is my 1980’s US Army for Team Yankee. Decided to go for Butlers Printed Models for the bulk of the forces. The M1’s I am not 100% sure where I got those however they are metal. Minimal clean up on the 3D printed stuff and they are awesome quality for the price. I would recommend them to anyone looking for cheap 15mm modern-ish forces.
Some progression on the US, green isnt the NATO green that was used but in the table it wont matter. Going for the camo below (pic from Battlefront)
My other new pet project is Necromunda v2.0 or Shadow War as it is known. I loved Necromunda growing up so I was super excited to see this. Not having a massive amount of time to spend builting and painting a custom force just now I have opted for Grey Knights. Inital army comp is 4 models and going for a close combat style that is amazingly stupid in 2nd ed 40k rules but I am a Space Marine and the Emperor Protects.
And finally the list of shame. Two commissions at the top, although I am doing them for free to try out new techniques so unsure if they can be classed as commissions.
Hopefully back to more regular posting, I do have some more Dropfleet and Dropzone stuff to throw out there as well as a BloodBowl team on the way so expect some new things as well as revisiting some old projects.
Had a few hours spare today so I finally managed to get some base coating done for my ever growing pile of models. I am expecting to get the Robute Guilliman model today so that will put a hold on a lot of my Hawk stuff.
My block of models contains some UCM ground forces as well as the UCM starter fleet. The rest is a collection of Shaltari Dropzone stuff that I will slowly work through.
As you can see it is quite a collection. I am working up from Halfords Grey Primer with the UCM Dropfleet stuff. Thinking with a black wash then a drybrush it might be a super quick method of painting. Otherwise I may do some panel painting but I dont know if I am going to commit to that level of time and effort on them.
Until next time….
Been a while but I haven’t been skimping on the painting and modelling.
I picked up a few new toys for my Shaltari in Dropzone and also the nee Dropfleet Shaltari starter set.
I basically painted these guys yellow, 2 layers of Baal Red wash and then details. Overall it was a pretty quick paint job in actual time it is just that I spread it out over a few weeks.
I really can’t get over the size of the Shaltari Dropzone ships, these things are epic in scale. I really wish I got on board during the Kickstarter so I could have got the 2 Up for the UCM ships. Those would have been a joy to paint.
If you are on the fence about Dropfleet I would say on model quality alone just go for it, I am unsure how the rules will play out however I was a massive fan of Battlefleet Gothic and all I have read is that this very much a polished V2.0 of that ruleset I am sure it will be fun.
Much to my surprise I actually managed a good few hours of painting last night at my better halfs parents house. Initially I set up on the dining room table and this was fine with the daylight however as it got darker the lighting just wasnt up to the task of painting minis. Thankfully there is a den that has much brighter lighting and after a quick move (4 separate runs with hands full) I was set up again.
Initially I was working on the second coat of wash for the Shaltari, as you can see below I decided to stop after the second coat and do some work on the details. I toyed with the idea of doing 3 coats but thinking long term with Dropfleet and more Dropzone mini’s I really need to consider time vs looks. In this case time won. They detail work will still get 100% attention I just dont see the big change between 2 and 3 coats.
While the wash was drying on the Shaltari I finially managed to wash the Sigmarines. My distaste for block painting still hasnt gone away however for relative speed painting with decent tabletop resukts there is no better way to go. I chose the GW Sepia wash in the end iver the Fleshshade and I am happy with the outcome. Just the final basing needing to be sorted and a coat of Anti Shine and we are done:
The tail on the monster above is gold because until I washed it I didnt notice it wasnt fully armoured. So tonight all going well I will fix that slight oversight.
And finally I got my horde of UCM stuff out to start chipping away at. No detail pics of these guys as its all just blocking work again like the AoS stuff, expect them to be done sometime in 2019 🙃